The 2018 Central Texas African American Family Support Conference (CTAAFSC) brought nearly 500 consumers, family members, conference presenters, exhibitors, volunteers and professionals to explore mental health challenges, raise awareness of health care services, reduce stigma and increase access to care.
Vicky Coffee, Program Manager for the Hogg Foundation for Mental Health at the University of Texas and longtime CTAAFSC Planning Committee member, served as the Emcee.
“I cannot express how grateful I am to participate in the conference this year. The seminars that I attended are not only going to be applied at work but in my personal life. The conference has empowered me to work differently with my child”.
– Conference attendee and AISD employee
This year we had 40 exhibitors, 20 interactive workshops and 3 poster presentations.
Representative Garnet F. Coleman was present to deliver a legislative update and to recognize this year’s Eternal Flame Award winner: Judge Nancy Hohengarten.
Richard E Hopkins Torch Awards Recipients
- Reggie Smith – Consumer
- Gladdie P. Fowler – Community Leader
- Jill Fiorillo – Professional
- Karen Causey and Dominique Jones – The Wood Group Educational Scholarship
- Tracy Green – RR Coleman-Calahan Lodging Scholarship
- Tracey Moore – The Michele Bibby Educational and Lodging Scholarship
- Annie and Joe Powell – The Austin Area Mental Health Consumer Lodging Scholarship
CTAAFSC 2018 Sponsors
The conference was made possible through the generous support from our sponsors:
- Austin Independent School District
- Austin Public Health
- Central Health
- Integral Care
- NAMI Austin
- New Milestones Foundation
- Sendero Health Plans
- Seton Ascension
- St. David’s Foundation
- Texas Health and Human Services – Office of Minority Health Statistics and Engagement
- The University of Texas at Austin Dell Medical School
- The Wood Group
We want to recognize a few key individuals who helped make this year’s conference memorable:
- Council Member Ora Houston and Shannon Jones for their welcome remarks
- Our keynotes Trina “Titi Ladette” Cleveland and Dr. Ryan Sutton
- Special guest and motivational speaker Nicole Conway
- Pastor AJ Quinton, for sharing his words of wisdom
- Pastor H. Ed Calahan, Assistant Pastor Granyon Perry-Wooden, and Pastor Noah Diggs for leading us in prayer
- Brother James McCreary and his choir companion on their striking rendition of “Lift Every Voice and Sing”
- Our Entertainers – Smooth and EZ Dance Troop and Touch of Class
- The Planning Committee members for creating an outstanding program