The 2019 Central Texas African American Family Support Conference brought together nearly 500 attendees. Over two dynamic days we explored health challenges and solutions for our community.
Vicky Coffee, Program Manager for the Hogg Foundation for Mental Health at the University of Texas and Kimberly Holiday (“Lady Joy”), motivational speaker and KAZI radio personality were our fearless emcees. This was a year of conference firsts – including a youth track and a very popular plenary session showcasing the wonderful variety of poster presentations. Yashi Brown, mental health advocate and daughter of singer Rebbie Jackson and Barbara Major, a successful community organizer, spoke their truths as our keynotes. Ronald Chisom, co-founder of The People’s Institute for Survival and Beyond, known for his winning Supreme Court case Ronald Chisom v. Charles E. Roemer, Governor of Louisiana, shared his infinite wisdom about undoing racism.
As always, the 2019 conference was a remarkable opportunity to come together and lift one another up as we move towards a healthier, more resilient future.
Here’s what conference attendees had to say.
“This conference is absolutely amazing. These is so much to learn, so much knowledge to gain, so many people to network with and to work with on these issues.”
“You have done it again. Thank you – this is like my vacation to come together with people and learn how we can be better.”
“This conference makes difficult subjects approachable, life affirming and cause for determined change.”
View the full conference program and select presentations here.
- Watch our short highlight video!
- Over 20 interactive workshops
- The “Bold and Unapologetically Walking in Victory” poster presentation showcase, with 15 impactful posters
Poster Favorite: Jacqueline Miller’s The Impact and Health Implications Adultification Has on African American Children
- 38 exhibitors
Representative Garnet F. Coleman Eternal Flame Award Recipient
Richard E Hopkins Torch Awards Recipients
- Lorenzo Lewis – Consumer
- Tarik Daniels – Community Leader
- Sonya Hosey – Professional
- Robert Lilly & Clarence Watson – The Wood Group Educational Scholarship
- Yolanda Ross – RR Coleman-Calahan Lodging Scholarship
- Latasha Taylor – The Michele Bibby Educational and Lodging Scholarship
- Mary Tolle – The Austin Area Mental Health Consumer Lodging Scholarship
CTAAFSC 2019 Sponsors
We want to recognize a few key individuals who helped make this year’s conference memorable.
- Commissioner Jeff Travillion and Assistant City Manager Christopher Shorter for their welcome remarks
- Our keynotes Yashi Brown and Barbara Major
- Special guest Ronald Chisom
- Minister Rodney Geter for his comedy tribute honoring Tress Berry, longtime planning team member
- Minister Daryl Horton and Minister Dusty McCormick for leading us in prayer
- Sondra Johnson and Eileen “Sugar” Williams for their beautiful musical contributions
- Nell Watts aka Gangster Granny for taking “time out to turn up”
- The CTAAFSC Planning Team for creating an outstanding program